Igfxpers.exe is related to Intel graphics cards and Intel’s onboard GPUs. As such it’s a completely safe process you may find running on your computer.
Rarely, it can cause an error. It seems to happen randomly and may cause your computer to lock-up, requiring a restart and resulting in the loss of what you were working on. Removing it prevents the error.
What is igfxpers.exe?
Igfxpers.exe is associated with Intel’s persistence module and it’s related to Intel or Nvidia graphic cards as part of the Graphics Media Accelerator Driver. According to Intel it’s critical to the proper functioning of the display drivers and shouldn’t be turned off.
However, according to several users, it’s non-essential to several Windows versions, such as Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. As such, it can be safely disabled, preventing the error without harming your computer.
What it actually does is adding the “Graphic Properties” option that lets you access the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. You can change most settings inside the Intel Control Panel just by using Windows “Personalize” options, making it an unnecessary process.
Why you should remove igfxpers.exe
Although Intel says it’s an essential process, disabling it doesn’t hinder the user experience. As a matter of fact, disabling it makes your computer use less system resources.
How to delete igfxpers.exe
Deleting igfxpers.exe is quite simple. To do so you just need to:
- Search for it by using the search feature in the file explorer and making sure that the option to show hidden files and folders is enabled.
- Once you find igfxpers.exe you may delete it.
How to Show Hidden Files and Folders
If you can’t find igfxpers.exe you might not have the option to show hidden files and folders enabled. Here’s how you do it in Windows 10:
- In the file explorer click on the “View” tab at the top left corner
- Check the option “Hidden Items” and you’re all done
If You’re Using Windows 7:
- Click on the “Organize” button in the explorer window
- Select “Folder and search options”
- Click on the “View” tab at the top
- Scroll down until you find “Hidden Files and Folders” and select “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and you’re all done.
If you wish to reinstall igfxpers.exe you need to reinstall your graphics drivers, but you should be fine without it.
If you have any other questions relating igfxpers.exe or any other similar issues, let us know — we’re here to help!
Petr is a serial tech entrepreneur and the CEO of Apro Software, a machine learning company. Whenever he’s not blogging about technology for itechgyan.com or softwarebattle.com, Petr enjoys playing sports and going to the movies. He’s also deeply interested about mediation, Buddhism and biohacking.